Here it is.
Two things you should know:
1. From the beginning (if possible) I did not want to be induced. I wasn't 'dead set' against it, because anything can happen, but it definitely was not my 'perfect' plan.
2. The doctor was right ... when the due date arrives, in my mind, it was time for my baby to be in my arms.
By June 2nd, my due date, I was ready for my baby to be here. I wasn't weary in body at all - actually pregnancy was good to me and I felt wonderful, I just wanted to hold my baby. My brother flew in on Saturday, June 1st and he was flying back home on Wednesday evening, June 5th. So, since I was ready for my baby to be here and I wanted Kevin to meet her, I agreed to an induction (which was inevitable according to my doctor at 41 weeks).
On Friday, May 31st, when I called the doctor's office to discuss induction, there was a huge misunderstanding that made me nervous when I thought my doctor was out of town that weekend, when in fact, he just doesn't schedule inductions on the weekend. Long story, but I was UPSET, because I did not see any other doctors in the practice, therefore I was uncomfortable thinking about a complete stranger delivering my baby. My doctor delivers all his patients' babies. :)
Anyway, due to all that confusion, I wasn't informed of any details or information about the final decision and details of being induced. So, Monday afternoon at approximately 1:30PM, I was working away at my desk and my doctor calls. He informs me that I need to be at the hospital at 5:30PM that evening. My reply exactly, "Doc, I'm at work now. And I've got to go to Wal-Mart, then go home and take a shower, and I'm 45 minutes away" He said, "okay, 6:30 PM." So, I hang up with him, promptly called Chris, and then my adrenaline started pumping .... I wrapped up things at work, zoomed in and out of Wal-Mart as fast as a 40-week pregnant lady could, drove home, took a shower, packed our car, and took one last picture.
We went through the Chick-Fil-A drive-thru for dinner, dropped off the final batch of thank you cards in the mail for the last few gifts received, and called our parents, siblings, and few close friends. When we arrived at the hospital, the lady at the registration desk informed us that they were full and running behind and we needed to come back in an hour. So, we rode around town ....
We came back in an hour or so ... still waited several more minutes ... but finally got our room around 8:00PM. The L&D rooms are super nice and huge. Since they were so busy and a nurse wasn't available and my doctor had worked all day and was ready to go home - he started our paperwork. (comical side note: he kept using the wrong last name of another "Olivia" he knew)
I changed into the hospital gown and used the restroom for the last time.
At "weigh-in" ... I only weighed 2 lbs more than pre-pregnancy. (woo-hoo)
The doctor broke my water. And got a catheter. (ugh)
And Pitocin was started at a "1."
My doctor said "good-bye" and left me in "good hands" with my nurse and said my baby should arrive around lunch time the next day.
(he had just did a similar induction routine the day before and that is how it went)
I asked if there was a chance it could be faster ... and he said not likely, since I wasn't progressing any on my own.
At approximately 10 PM, I was ready for my epidural.
I felt like such a big 'baby," cause this is another procedure that I didn't want.
And I was scared to ask for it, because the Pitocin had just been started and I knew that I had a long road ahead of me.
But, the nurse gave me the "go ahead." The anesthesiologist did an awesome job and the procedure went swell (although Chris had to leave the room).
The epidural did not "take" on my left side, so I still experienced some pain; although it definitely took the edge off. We discussed possibly "re-doing" the epidural, but I decided to wait and see.
At approximately 12AM, I was experiencing hard pain and felt like I needed to push, so I pressed the call button to discuss re-doing the epidural.
I pressed it again.
And again.
Then, I began to cry.
And because I sometimes need "tough love," Chris pointed out on the monitor screen that other women's contractions were much worse than mine.
And he even proceeded to comically suggest that I "man up."
I quickly told him that if I had to lie in that pain in the bed until lunch time the next day - we would only have ONE child.
Then, CHRIS pressed the call button.
The anesthesiologist FINALLY arrived at approximately 1AM.
It had been a busy night in labor & delivery - a lady walked in having a baby and another lady needed an emergency C-section.
He said we could most definitely re-do the epidural, but he wanted my nurse to check and see if I had progressed any.
Enter my nurse.
I don't think she thought I was really in that much pain.
And she for sure didn't think I was that far along ... so she brought another nurse for back-up and/or a second opinion.
But, when she checked me.
Her exact words were, "I ain't believing this."
She had the other nurse check me and sure enough it was time to have a baby ...
She left to call my doctor in.
Chris called our parents and siblings and close friends.
My doctor arrived in less than 15 minutes - in wrinkled scrubs and bedhead.
I apologized for getting him out of bed.
And we discovered that the contraction monitor in fact wasn't even working; therefore the contraction measurements on the screen were INCORRECT. I actually had to inform the doctor and nurse when I was having contractions.
At 1:54 AM, our little girl arrived - screaming.
The doctor held her up for me to see.
The nurses wrapped her in a blanket and cleaned her up a bit; while the doctor finished with me.
And then the most precious gift I've ever received was placed in my arms.
Then my doctor snapped the first picture ever of our family. (in previous post)
And as my doctor walked out of the room, he gave me a "high-five" and told me I handled it like a "champ." "Thank you, Thank you very much, doc."

No comments:
Post a Comment