14 January 2011

it's a biscuit!

My mama bakes the tastiest, lightest, fluffiest biscuits.
They are great with jelly.
They are great with sausage.
They are great with gravy.
They are great eaten all by themselves.
I've watched her 'whip' up a pan of biscuits many times.
It is one of my life-long dreams to bake biscuits like hers.
Not long after Chris and I married, I attempted my first biscuits.
Sorry, there's no picture,
but my ratio of shortening to flour/milk was too high.
The 'biscuits' were hard as a rock.
No kidding - Chris threw one into the yard and it didn't break.
Our dog didn't even eat it.
It was that bad.
I was so embarrassed.
It was literally YEARS before I attempted again.
The 2nd time I followed a recipe. Still no good.
I'd rather have a can of biscuits from the refrigerated section.
Or a bag from the frozen section.
But, recently, my cousin, Bradley, has taken up cooking.
And he has cooked biscuits from Southern Biscuit Flour.
I thought, if Bradley can do it ... I can do it.
So, I promptly purchased a bag of Southern Biscuit Flour.
And this past Monday, since we were snowed in,
I attempted biscuits. Again.
Much better. Slightly tasty. And Chris devoured 3 or 4.
And Thumpy even liked these.But, they still don't taste like Mama's.

3 comments:

  1. i can make biscuits. =) mama always made them, and i finally got her to teach me around this time last year. i'm not anywhere near as fast or perfect as she (or your mama) can be, but mine are pretty good, after a year's worth of practice. haha i love biscuits - but i hate canned ones, so i no option but to learn. lol! congrats on yours!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yum for biscuits - my mom made some during the snow days!

    your mom's biscuits are fab!

    And yours look great - especially if that is strawberry jam with it. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nothing I make ever tastes like my Mom's either!

    ReplyDelete