02 April 2013

childbirth class recap

We have concluded our childbirth classes.  The classes included sessions on labor, delivery, and early infant care.  We did learn a few things.  (ie.  how to count contractions, when to go to the hospital in labor, all types of augmentation and pain intervention, etc) 

I do want to stay at home in labor as long as possible; as I know I'll be more relaxed and comfortable; although I will also be a basket of nerves.  This is all new to me, so I have no idea what to expect and how rapidly/or not things will progress ... and we have a 45-minute drive to the hospital.

As far as pain intervention, we still do not have a plan.  LOL.  There is so much that can happen and change "the plan."  We have decided to just "play it by ear."  I don't want the disappointment and/or feeling like a failure if things do not go just as I plan or hope.

Most of the other 12 couples in our class are first-timers, as well.  So, it was quite funny at times.  Here are a few "funnies" from our class:
  • While, I'm sure all of us knew what we were signing up for when we decided to have a baby; seeing it in the videos from the other end of the hospital bed was quite a shocker and there were many "gasps" and "ewwws." 
  • And of course, a few of the sappy mamas-to-be cried as the babies were born in the videos - thanks to lovely, pregnancy hormones.
  • After watching one of the videos, a girl in the class exclaimed "that mama didn't cuss no where near as much as I will."
  • During the early infant care portion, one dad asked "Can a baby get Shaken Baby Syndrome BEFORE it is born?"
  • Does the nesting (ie cleaning house and cooking meals) continue AFTER birth?

No comments:

Post a Comment